[meteorite-list] Stan's NWA 2965 EL6/7 and achondrite vs chondrite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:49:35 -0600

Hello Stan,

You noted, "...the classification of this stuff as a 6/7 is SO 5 minutes
ago. it's an EL3..."

Would it not be fair to say it is an EL6/7 with EL3 clasp material and most
of the material is the EL6/7? I have made a comment or two on this before,
recently with Dimmitt, that I do think it is right to give a meteorite with
more then one petro type the 3 number, when it is not the dominating matrix.

This is more because of the commercial aspects then the scientific aspect.
Usually a meteorite with a 3 will sell for several times what a 5-6 sells
for. Then again, I guess petro 3 chondrites don't command the dollar they
did 5 years ago, so maybe this doesn't matter to anyone other then me.

So I guess I like what Weir has labeled the meteorite.
(http://www.meteoritestudies.com/protected_NWA2965.HTM)

"The light grey/blue lithology material - while typically referred to as the
'fresher' material by Moroccan sources is apparently the more aqueously
altered of the two lithologies."

Interesting, I would have guessed along with the Moroccan dealers.
Especially since you do not see the oxidized metal veining in the lighter
material. Maybe I should run my large slice under water for a couple
days...;^)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas