[meteorite-list] Micromounts; craters; SL9 impact movie

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Aug 18 22:04:04 2006

Hi all -

I few thoughts in the night.

On micromounts, I seem to rememeber that several years
ago someone had assembled a box set, with a wide
assortment of meteorites (about $400 at the time)...

I also remembered that Nininger produced a book which
had a canyon diablo in a plastic bubble...

I also remembered that Jensen scientific was selling a
collection for educational use...

So, why not a childrens' book, which has cheap
examples of the three common types packaged in bubbles
attached to the pages? Kind of like a "Rocks From
Space" Jr. edition - a basic primer. Think of all the
aggravation a book like this would save you when those
kids became adults.

Second,would someone put together an internet list of
craters with with Google Earth/ and or Microsoft Earth
links? add age, and leave a column for impactor type,
which you can fill in with "unknown" for most of them
right now.

Finally, where is a movie showing the impacts of all
of the fragments of SL9 with Jupiter? While we have
movies or images of each impact, they've never been
combined. No one has remapped the colors and re-sized
them. Simulated natural color would be nice.

good hunting,
Ed