[meteorite-list] Crackpot impact theory

From: Axel Emmermann <axel.emmermann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 25 18:27:24 2005

Hello people,

my original message seems to have been sent to the wrong person. Apologies
to the recipient who's also a list member.

my name is Axel Emmermann and I'm new to his list. Actually Dirk Ross sort
of dragged me in: Hi Dirk ;-)))

I'm not a scientist although my hobbies and interests are quite
scientifically oriented: fluorescent minerals and cosmology/astronomy.
Meteorites are on my radar but only as an interest on the side. I'm not
really up to speed like the rest of you obviously is ;-)))

The reason that I jumped in is that I wonder about the likelihood of a
supernova being responsible for the extinction of the mammoth.
If a SN occurred close enough to earth to send solid comet-like object our
way it would have fried the planet. It is true that SN shock wave sweeps a
compressed front of matter along its path but wouldn't that rather cause
star birth instead of coalescing comets?
On the other hand: how long does a typical gamma ray burst from a SN last?
If it's less than 12 hrs than I'd say that our planet is not really
transparent to gamma rays and that being on the shadow side of the explosion
may save you from it.
The neutrino-front is another matter. That would have been very dense at
close range and neutrinos aren't completely inert. There could be enough
interaction with atomic matter to ignite significant evolutionary change
through DNA-damage or not... I really have no idea. It's a mere thought.

Still there are rumors that the gravity waves from a "relatively nearby" SN
caused the earth to ring like a bell causing the devastating tsunami last
year. Maybe we really underestimate the effects of supernovae?

Best regards

Axel

Axel Emmermann
Lobbesplein 12