[meteorite-list] Altithermal and Impact? WS: Crackpot Impact Theory

From: drtanuki <drtanuki_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Sep 25 17:55:00 2005

Dear Paul, Darren and List,
  Thank you both for your postings on this topic.
  I had the opportunity to work for the Smithsonian
Institution under Dr. Dennis Stanford from 1979-1981.
 We were excavating a bison kill site in NE Colorado
near my home. Part of my work was to study the soils
at the site to determine the paleosoil layer that
marks the Altithermal (a period of higher temperature
and dryer environment) and to map thm in relation to
the bison kill. The paleosoil layer is a distinct
clay layer that interrupts two different climatic
soils. At that time I wondered if there was a
connection between to the megafauna and other
extinctions and impact; but no REE analysis was done.
The particular site yielded camel, dire wolf and
bison. Date 6000+/- BP. Site name: Drier-Frasca,
Logan County, CO.
   Sincerely, Dirk Ross...Tokyo

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/09/24/BAGG9ET78M1.DTL

http://www4.nau.edu/amqua/v29n1/quaternary_paleobiology_update.htm