[meteorite-list] Auctioneer Abuse of Meteorites was: Pallasite

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 26 09:24:27 2005

Nice Find Martin, it was nice to actually see this new material that is
thrilling to some listmemembers:), though there is no real guaranty of
authenticity offered.

In case someone out there really is motivated to participate, I just would
like to express my opinion, that these are more meteorite pimps: Only a bunch
of thieves would appear to do this. I guess they think with a cheap British
(or Stagecoach) sounding name like "Bonham & Butterfield" they add some
mysterious value. There are five more meteorites sharing the company of the sample
of the pallasite from the Fukang locality, did you notice? All the others
are Nantan Irons!!

Let's look at the economics of a sale of lot 8079, the 2.02 kg Nantan:

If it sells for the low price of the range, $400:

$470 collected from buyer included "premium"
$70 retained as buyer's premium by auctioneer
$100 commission retained by auctioneer from Seller
$150 catalog picture kept by auctioneer
$30 online uploaded image kept by auctioneer
$6 insurance fee collected by auctioneer

NET amount remitted to Seller: $114
TOTAL Kept by Auctioneer: $356

Sounds like purchases on eBay through PayPal just might offer better
protection, as evidenced by the Auctioneers statement of responsibility and
authenticity:

Lots are sold on an *as is* basis but the actual condition of a Lot may not
be as good as indicated by its outward appearance. In particular parts may
have been replaced or renewed and Lots may not be authentic or of satisfactory
quality.

Oh, that's nice, and let me guess, even if it is later shown that the
meteorite wasn't authentic, the auctioneer will do it's best to hang on to its $356
or a good part of it as it is so costly to hold an auction when use a fancy
auctioneer name. Uh huh...into the thieves category they go, for
irresponsible. Of course the Seller is responsible in their book not them they'll have
nothing to do with responsibility, and for that the seller gets 24.2% of the
sale procedes for a meteorite of questionable pedigree.

How shameful such abuse still takes place, but I guess "Ye pays ya money and
ye takes ya chances." I'd invite anyone to to correct anything I've
inadvertantly overlooked.

Saludos, Doug
PS - and that misleading comment that Esquel somehow isn't as nice because
it has been sawed into hundreds of pieces. I am scratching my head on still
on that note, as it appears that the lot offered itself is not exactly the
main mass either...at less than a kilogram, but they had to add: "The specimen's
very large size" as a descriptor

En un mensaje con fecha 11/26/2005 6:31:08 AM Mexico Standard Time,
Altmann_at_Meteorite-Martin.de escribe:
You can buy your slice at a Bonham's auction in L.A. on 4th of Dec.

"
Help
Flash version Copyright ? 2002-2005 Bonhams 1793 Ltd., Images and Text All
Rights Reserved
Lot No: 8084

Fukang Meteorite Slice - An Important New Discovery
Stoney Iron - Pallasite
Fukang, China
An extraordinary discovery made in 2003, the Fukang Meteorite is arguably
the world's preeminent pallasitic meteorite. The present cut and polished
slice is the first specimen of this distinguished meteorite to be made
available to the public. Displaying much larger olivine crystals than have
ever been seen before, the superlative Fukang meteorite is in outstanding
condition; its nickel-iron matrix exhibits abundant high quality olivine
crystals. The quality of some of the crystals is so fine that they may be
classified as peridot crystals, a gem form of olivine.

A brief history of Pallasites:
In 1749 on a remote wooded ridge of Mount Emir, Siberia, the first pallasite
meteorite was discovered. The native Tartars believed the iron was a holy
relic that had fallen from the heavens. In 1772, Peter Simon Pallas, the
German scientist for whom this category of meteorites was named, visited the
site and removed samples of the 700-kilogram mass. Although it would be
several years before scientists would accept the theory that stones and
irons fall from the heavens, the Pallas iron was eventually recognized as a
meteorite and identified as such. The large mass is now on display at the
Academy of Sciences Mineral Museum.

Over the next 161 years, other much smaller pallasites were discovered and
identified. Then, in 1937 at Huckitta, Australia, a pallasite weighing 1,411
kilograms was found; unfortunately, nearly the entire specimen had weathered
into iron shale, leaving only 450 kilograms of intact specimen which is
currently in Adelaide, Australia.

Fourteen years later, in 1951, a 1,500-kilogram pallasite was found in
Esquel, Argentina. A private individual maintained ownership until 1992 when
it was sold and was subsequently sawed into hundreds of small pieces. The
largest intact piece of the specimen is now less than 200 kilograms.

Not since 1951 has as large and significant a pallasite been found as the
Fukang Meteorite, discovered outside a tiny village in Northwestern China in
2003. The specimen's very large size, superb quality and enormous,
high-quality crystals make it a find of historic importance.
Measuring 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 x 1/8in. Weighing 910 grams.

Estimate: $18,000 to 22,000

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&sc
reen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=2651951&iSaleNo=13327&sServer=http://images
2.bonhams.com/&sPath=2005-10/10/7153424-48-1.jpg

Regards.
Martin