[meteorite-list] Re: Stones From The Stars: The UnsolvedMysteries of Meteorites

From: Axel Emmermann <axel.emmermann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 18 08:57:03 2005

Oh yes!
That gave me flashback... wow... still dizzy from it ;-)))

Back in the fifties to late sixties there was several hypes created around
some books that were written by pseudo-scientists like Immanuel Velikovsky
or even a reporter named Erich Von Daniken.

Velikovsky ( http://skepdic.com/velikov.html ) proposed a load of
unspeakable nonsense in his book "Worlds in collision". Was he a certified
and respected scientist? Yes, absolutely so... in the field of psychology.
He had no astronomical basis whatsoever. Still, his ramblings were gulled by
an astoundingly large circle of readers. Even in academic circles for a
short while.
If it is written by an "esteemed" scientist, people tend to believe
anything. Also, 50's and 60's were the time that the mass medium TV was
emerging along with "popular science". Television was the golden opportunity
for con-artists... you could fool millions of people at a time.
Erich Von Daniken (http://skepdic.com/vondanik.html) wrote books that were
packed with lies and fraudulent proof about ancient astronauts and
prehistoric civilizations. Some years ago he was put under pressure by the
law (several law suits were filed against him) to publicly renounce his wild
theories and confirm the fraudulent nature of his work. He did so in a live
TV broadcast and... saw his books re-enter the best-seller lists shortly
thereafter. Even today, people buy his books and visit his theme park. Is
life really so dull that people rather wallow in the make-believe of a
raving madman than see the real wonders of the universe that are often even
wilder than fantasy?

I think this conclusion is exactly what it claims to be: unthinkable ;-))))

Axel