[meteorite-list] Water in space

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 31 16:32:37 2005

It depends on what form the water is in. In the case of meteorites, surely
it is in various hydrates. It is far easier to dry out a meteorite in the
vacuum of space than it is on the Earth, wouldn't you agree? So if the
bonding of water in the hydrates is strong enough to prevent the former,
certainly it is strong enough to prevent the latter, also. That kind of
water storage is quite different from the sponge effect you observed, which
is probably simple capturing of liquid by capillary action in a porous
structure. Storage in hydrates is likely to be quite stable; storage as
liquid is not.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory