[meteorite-list] Water in space

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 31 17:27:16 2005

Exactly! Consider the case of copper carbonate. In its hydrated form, it
is a pretty blue crystal; we used to use it in our swimming hole in low
amounts to kill off algae and weeds. In its anhydrous form, it's a greenish
powder. Don't eat either one; bad. I'm not akamai enough to guess what
hydrates might be present in meteorites, but I'm pretty sure this is what is
meant by water being present in meteorites, chemically bound into various
minerals, which may be released by heating or chemical reaction.

Tracy Latimer