[meteorite-list] Re: THE ART OF PHOTOGRAPHING Pictures 101

From: Martin H. <planetwhy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat May 21 16:30:12 2005

Hi Sterling and all,

The 18 percent gray is more than trivia. The famous
photographer John Shaw describes the light meter as
actually a 'gray meter' and the implication are
important.

If you point a photographic light meter at snow in the
sun, and take a picture, you will get an 18 percent
gray picture. In order to make snow white, you have to
over-expose the image in order to washout the white to
actually make it white.

With a digital camera, one can use the white balance
adjustment to not only overcome issues of light
temperature (ie. incandesent v. florescent etc.) but
also adjust for a proper white in an exposure.

But there might be an easier way depending upon your
digital camera and that is with the scene selection
options. The camera many have settings that compensate
for backlighting, bright skys, bright foregrounds,
night shoots, etc. If you have a light colored
meteorite on a black background, it is similar to a
light colored ballet dancer on a dark stage. Or if you
have a darker specimen on as light background, it is
similar to a skier on bright white snow. Simply
setting playing with the scene selection choices and
understanding how the camera is reading the light may
make meteorite photography a whole lot easier.

But it is also like using a GPS telescope. You can get
great results, but you might not know how or why.

Happy clicking.