AW: [meteorite-list] Seeläsgen IIICD missing mass

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed May 4 10:25:05 2005

Hello Marcin,

MetBase lists a total of 57 kg in 77 collections worldwide. If one considers loss due to cutting and grinding, material lost in World War I and II and some specimens hiding in unknown collections, I think the numbers are reasonable. This is an old meteorite (said to be paired with Morasko) and cutting techniques in 19th and early 20th century were rather crude (hack saw, thick blades). The amount of material converted into shavings must have been considerable.

Cheers,
J?rn/MetBase