[meteorite-list] NWA 869

From: MexicoDoug_at_aol.com <MexicoDoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 13 15:41:49 2005

Jeff G. wrote:
"It was a fragmental breccia, probably
L4-6. A thin section of L5 material gave Fa24.2, S3, W1."

Mark B. thinks:
The lighters parts of the meteorite do not show nice abundent
chondrules in a thin section from what I have seen. (To make the L3.8 as
some have been selling it.) Despite what it looks like in a hand specimen.
The darker parts of the meteorite is a shocked portion of the lighter part.

Colleagues, some of you could really give the scientists a run for their
money - I personally can't even tell the difference from the outside (and don't
cut nor have computerized inventories) between a lot of NWA 869 I saw and
Sahara 02500, L3, Fa = 26% +/- 2%, S2, W1 Met Bul. 88, big strewn field, many
stones.

It looks like the Sahara 02500 researchers and suppliers, for example, on
the other hand, have done a fantastic job keeping the stock clean for 2500, but
given all the fingers in the pot for NWA 869 it is hard to imagine the same.
 How could NWA 869 be assigned a weight and name based on this, technically,
by NomCom rules? I am confused but hope it is possible since a lot has not
all been classified in accordance to the dense desert protocol. Could the
characteristic greenish tinge be used as an exceptional and unique defining
characteristic of NWA 869, and treat this exception as if it were a non-dense
fall? Why not, if it can be truly shown to be unique nomenclature should
accomodate logic...on such a grand scale. What, exactly causes the
characteristic: environment or unique composition is an important question? This would be
the angle great to be hearing more. But then, if we go that route - I would
think it should have a real alphabet soup name to be more consistent with
this type of nominative exception and what to do if it has already been
classified by another number Good luck Jeff, with this usually very exquisite and
sensitive meteorite(s).
Saludos, Doug