[meteorite-list] NWA 869

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 13 15:16:59 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:27:47 +0200, "Martin Altmann" <Altmann_at_Meteorite-Martin.de> wrote:

>Each dealer and experienced collector, although if he/she's not a fan of
>desert stuff like me, will tell you, if you'll present them a bunch of cut
>stones, which one is NWA 869 ad which one is not.

To me, at least, it seems that you can tell that if it is NWA 869 before it is cut. I bought a 3
1/2 kilo lot of unclassifed stones on Ebay a while back, and maybe about a quarter of them "looked"
like 869 to me just from the appearance of the fusion crust. Since I don't have a saw, I was able
to only window those that happened to have a smooth-ish, flat side, but of those, all that I thought
looked like 869 on the outside looked like 869 on the inside (not that I'm complaining-- I have
dozens of "known" 869s plus those "unknown" 869s but I wouldn't mind having a few kilos more).

Here's a couple of photos I tried making from one of my favorites of my "unofficial" 869s. This one
weighs around 30g. http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/unofficial_869.jpg