[meteorite-list] NWA 869

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Jun 13 12:47:31 2005

Hello Jeff and list,

(Sent only to the list as Jeff requested...)

Mike noted: "NWA 869 is found in Algeria, there to my knowledge, is over
2000 kilograms of it!"

2000 kg. is if anything....a low number. I would be surprized it the total
weight was not twice that, if not 5000 kg. We did not see this the last
year, but the two Tucson shows before this year, there were a dozen Moroccan
dealers with 100's of kg. for sale.

I have sold over 150 kg. I bet Dean has moved a ton or more....literally.

It is not a garbage can meteorite. It is very easy to identify and one of
the best looking meteorites from Africa. The garbage can comment originated
from an upset dealer being somewhat misleading.

"It was a fragmental breccia, probably
L4-6. A thin section of L5 material gave Fa24.2, S3, W1."

I agree with Rubin's classification information. I think it should be noted
as an L5. The lighters parts of the meteorite do not show nice abundent
chondrules in a thin section from what I have seen. (To make the L3.8 as
some have been selling it.) Despite what it looks like in a hand specimen.
The darker parts of the meteorite is a shocked portion of the lighter part.

The breccia I think is the red inclusions. I have several pieces here that
show the sometimes large red matrix melted faster in the atmosphere then the
other matrix. I will try to post some photos of this later if I have time.
(Things are still a little crazy around here.)

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com