[meteorite-list] extrasolar planet with ginormous rocky core

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Jul 1 02:23:54 2005

Hi,

    One reason for the mixed reception of the discovery is the problem of where these giant planets are
found.

    Before any extrasolar planets were found, some theorists proposed that giant planets formed far out
in a young solar system, spiralling inward until they ran out of material.

    In this theory, Jupiter migrates inward until it gets to 5 AU where the already depleted asteroid
zone stops it. Saturn stops when it gets to the zones depleted by Jupiter ahead of it, and so forth.

    When extrasolar discoveries started pouring in, there were mostly big planets, in very close. This
was seen as a vindication of the spiral-in theory. These were systems where there was so much material
that the giant planets spiralled all the way to the star before they ran out of planet building juice.

    But, a giant rocky core suggests it formed in place. No spiralling?

    Of course, with the method used, big planets close in are the only detectable planets (at first)
because they have the strongest "signals" to be detected. It's another "observer" effect. The only
planets discovered are oddballs because they're the only detectable ones.

    This is why everyone says these detections mean there must be huge numbers of normal planets. We
assume there are far more "normal" ones everywhere, too.

    But that is true only if the oddballs are distributed randomly. If they're oddballs, they must be
essentially random events. So, how are the discoveries distributed?

    In ramdom distribution, if you find one within 10 ly (lightyear), you should find a total of 8 out
to 20 ly, a total of 27 out to 30 ly, a total of 64 out to 40 ly, a total of 125 out to 50 ly, well, you
get the picture, goes up by the cube of the search radius.

    In the more than 100 extrasolars discovered (a goodly number and statistically workable), here is
the pattern:
    One within 10 ly (lightyear), a total of 3 out to 20 ly, still a total of 3 (no new finds) out to 30
ly, a total of 6 out to 40 ly, a total of only 12 out to 50 ly.
    Then, suddenly, between 50 and 60 ly out, 12 more new worlds, doubling the previous total to 24!
    But between 60 and 70 ly out, only 4 more, between 70 and 80 ly out, only 2 more, then, between 80
and 90 ly out, 8 more, between 90 and 100 ly out, 9 more, between 100 and 110 ly out, 10 more, then,
between 110 and 120 ly out, 12 again!
    After that discoveries fall off and off. In each new 10 ly increase in search: 6, 8, 6, 6, 4, 4, 0,
3, 1, 1, 3, 0, 1, 1...

    Graph it (pictures always better) and you see a curve with two sharp peaks: one at 55 lightyears out
and a fatter one at twice that distance, 110 lightyears out. In the detection method used, distance does
NOT reduce observability, so that isn't the reason. (Planets have been found all the way out to 4900
lightyears!)

    This is SO FAR from resembling a "normal" distribution as to raise the ultimate scientific question:
WHAT IN THE BLUE-BLAZES HECK IS GOING ON HERE?!!

    Interestingly, a few years ago, every web site listing extrasolars' data (there are many) gave the
distance for each and every discovery, all of them. Now, NONE of them give ANY distances for ANY stars
with extrasolar planets. Hmmm.

    I had to look each star up individually to make a table of distances. It was work. I hate work. Why
did they make me do work?

    Oh, great intelligences of the List! I call upon you! What explains this distribution? From the
vasty deeps of your intellects, tell me! What creates oddball planet systems in spherical shells with
radii that are multiples of 55 lightyears? Huh?

    Anybody?

Sterling K. Webb