[meteorite-list] AW: Mike's new find from Oman

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Jan 27 19:00:03 2005

Hi Rob, Martin, and List,

May I politely disagree ;-? To my eyes, Mike's new stone is only remotely
similar to Dhofar 025, and its pairings - these are brown, and heavily
weathered rocks that landed on our planet about 250,000 years ago (the
oldest lunar found up to this day). Mike's find looks much fresher, and it
reminds me more of Dhofar 302, and the dark lithology of Dhofar 908. Have a
look at:

http://www.timewarp.de/images/lunar/Dho302-0.508g.JPG

http://www.timewarp.de/images/lunar/Dho908-2.54g.JPG

However, it's much too early to suspect possible pairings. To me, Mike's new
stone looks very much like a lunar, and I would actually bet on it. A very
nice find, and I don't think that this is a polymict eucrite, or another
lunar wrong. I have to admit that I saw a few more high-res pictures of this
stone, before, and so I'm not guessing in the dark ;-)

Congrats Mike, I really think you hit the jackpot, this time! And thanks to
Rob for his kind words about my site. It's designed to be an online
reference collection of planetary meteorites, and it's good to know that
some people actually use it as such. Thanks.

All the best,
Norbert

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Hi Martin,

Everyone must be pinging the Picture of the Day site right now --
hit rate has been maxed out for this hour. Anyway, based on your
e-mail I decided to check Norbert's website for images of Dho 301
and Dho 308 (which presumably are paired). (By the way, Norbert's
site is always the FIRST place to look for anything related to
lunar meteorites!) Here's a good image of 301:

http://www.timewarp.de/images/lunar/Dho301-0.505g.JPG

Plus one of 308:

http://www.timewarp.de/images/lunar/Dho308-1.006g.JPG

I agree there are similarities to Mike's (based on my memory of
Mike's image). Dhofar 025 is also similar:

http://www.timewarp.de/images/lunar/Dho025-0.352g.JPG

--Rob