[meteorite-list] Re: [meteorite_hunters] Meteorite hunting in Spain (was First meteorites)

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Feb 22 11:58:22 2005

--- Mark Bowling <minador_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I know Martin, was referring to central Europe, but
> how about Spain -
> are there some great places to hunt there? I had
> the impression that there is some nice dry areas in
> some areas, or is the terrain in those areas not
> suitable to meteorite hunting?
>
> Considering the ratio of falls and finds in a region
> and also factoring in the population density, could
> there be a way to measure how good a region will be
> for meteorite recovery?
> What other factors should be included, and has any
> work been done on this subject?
>
> Clear skies,
>
> Mark
> Vail, AZ

------------------------------------

Hi Mark,

Here is a link to an article that I wrote about the
successful meteorite-recovery program in Spain:

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2004/jul04.htm

There are many links from those web pages, so you
should find some good information there.

Also, Spain's leading researcher in this area, Dr.
Josep M. Trigo, now works at UCLA and I can get you
his email address.

Bob V.

(P.S. - regarding work being done on a "measure how
good a region will be for meteorite recovery", I like
to think that all of our field efforts in AZ-CA-NV are
working to just that same goal;-)