[meteorite-list] Mutha Stone

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Dec 31 00:20:25 2005

Geez adam are you going to start up this BS again?
Seems you do it every time you want to try and screw
farmer or some other dealer that you currently have
some tiff with or just to claim that "My meteorites
are better than everybody elses meteorites and (Like
the moronic pellisons meteorites) worth 10 times as
much as everybody elses. Do you have sour grapes
because farmer has a shit load of the stuff for tucson
and you dont and you just cant stand farmer having all
the fun?
The more proper question to ask is "Were they
illegally exported from china and are they now legal
in the USA"? This means (among other things) that does
china and the USA have a repatriation agreement
involving meteorites? Does any of the SAR regions laws
come into play? And other things also I am sure.
If you want to know contact customs, the chinese
embassy ect? Maybe then you would be contributing
something to the list as I am sure everybody would
love a report.
You keep bring this up about morocco whenever you want
to make things difficult for some other dealer (Or
just want to make yourself sound holy) - even though
you or anybody else can easily contact the Moroccan
embassy and ask (Who will tell you meteorites are
legal to export without any paperwork - But Dont
anybody take my word for it as I am not guaranteeing
anything - call up and ask yourself). This is also
true of most moroccan fossils - except Dinosaur
fossils. All dinosaur teeth that you see in Tucson
were illegally exported. However, convuleted cultural
property laws laws dont necessarily mean that the
teeth were illegally imported into the USA or that
there is a problem having them. I am not even sure
that there is a firm ruling on that. I am sure that
there are other things involving this that I am not
familiar with also.
You brought this up about Oman a while back (Again,
partly to try and screw over farmer after he found a
lunar) even though Oman does not have meteorite laws
on their books. The guys who had trouble in Oman got
in trouble over immigration and mining laws - not that
they had meteorites. Most arab countries has resource
laws making it illegal to remove so much as a bit of
sand from the desert if they wanted to nail you for
something.
And entering most countries with plans to make money
on a tourist visa is usually illegal.
That dont make exporting meteorites illegal even if
they were confiscated as contraband.
I dont know the chinese meteorite laws. In fact I have
been two years fighting it out with the cultural
people trying to get a ruling on chinese fossil laws
and I can tell you that even there there is
conflicting, overlapping and grey areas in the legal
system. And the fact that Australian courts recently
decided to reverse 2000 yaers of legal rulings used in
most of the industrialized world reversing the
"Innocent unless proven guilty" into "Guilty until
proven innocent" dont make Chinese meteorite laws
illegal in the USA.
That meteorite may or may not have been illegally
exported from china. I dont know. I dont have a part
in it and dont really want any part of that meteorite.
But I do know that you brought up this topic (Yet
again) for no reason other than to try and screw over
farmer in tucson as he tries to sell it.
If you are worried about the legality I suggest you
stay away from the rock. Let farmer take the risks
involved in selling it. But dont be a scumbag and try
and screw his sales by blowing hot air.
Sincerely
DEAN