[meteorite-list] Wilcox Playa (Arizona) Meteorite

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat Nov 20 09:33:04 2004

Hello Bob (and list),

Bob noted: “..I made another WP find on 2004 March 07..”

Congratulations on another find Bob.

Bob asked, "When was this find made?"

I was not sure last morning when I made that web page. Since then I have
talked with the finder, his wife and his brother, who was in town at the
time of the find, in order to try to get a good date. It was found in the
fall of 2001. The brother thought October, but I was not able to confirm
the month.

Bob continued: "...If the ~72 gram stone was found prior to that date, it is
WP 003, if found after that date, it will be WP 004 (again, assuming there
are no other Wilcox Playa finds awaiting classification)."

Would I be correct in thinking it is Dr. Jones who assigns the U.S. number
names? As you know Bob (which means I am typing this for the rest of the
group), In a normal United States find....or I guess I should say, in normal
meteorite finds not from high collection areas, whoever owns the meteorite
will usually submit it for a name, providing a couple appropriate names.
These names are then voted on by the Met. Soc. Board.

I remember you mentioned in an article a couple months ago (?) that any U.S.
meteorite could get a provisional name whether classified or not, and you
have implied that it is important for all meteorites to do such for
chronological reasons.

I wonder about such as I own a couple meteorites found by your team members
without name/numbers, which would make personal cataloging easier.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com