[meteorite-list] Wilcox Playa (Arizona) Meteorite

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Nov 19 12:28:13 2004

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on your latest acquisition.

But, I have a question:

When was this find made?

It depends on this "date of find" whether the ~72gram
stone is WP 003 or WP 004 assuming there are no other
Wilcox Playa finds awaiting classification.

For instance, I made another WP find on 2004 March 07
so, if the ~72 gram stone was found prior to that
date, it is WP 003, if found after that date, it will
be WP 004 (again, assuming there are no other Wilcox
Playa finds awaiting classification).

I had planned to write about my find in my February
2005 Bob's Findings article prior to the Tucson Show.
That article would have answered many of the questions
that I'm sure will now be raised concerning the "date
of find" (one day before the cancelled Wilcox Playa
Hunt) and the presumed too muddy condition of the
playa. All answered in due time.

And regarding the importance of recording the "date /
time-of-day of find", I will spare you my sermon and
just refer you to this article:

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2004/jan04.htm

Hope this info helps,
Bob VERISH