[meteorite-list] ET re Another fake name, serious business

From: S. Ray DeRusse <srd_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 16 20:38:25 2004

I want to comment to on the following statements made by Farmer;

How do you collectors feel? You are being had, being sold rocks with
cards and the expectation that it is what they say it is, and now we see
that isn't the case! Your stones may be worth far less than you realize
if pairings are being made by looking at the outside of a stone!

I think that you have to look into each individual case. On the whole, I
cannot believe that bona-fide experienced dealers are selling material
without minimal testing and just piggybacking their authenticity on
others' work. This is called plagiarism in certain settings and is a
serious offense. However notwithstanding the economic factors of
dealership, the scientific record is ill served by not doing at least
minimal testing because it tends to muddy the record where a person buys
  a sample that may be lost from the record forever. Unclassifed samples
and untested samples may be good candidates for a museum where the owner
  does not have the resources or inclination to devote to testing and
contributing to the record.

To Bill Mason who said the following about Meteorite Magazine.

"Just a suggestion to consider; after all it is our most important
meteorite news source.

Get Real!

S. Ray DeRusse and Bill Cutler
www.bccmeteorites.com