AW: [meteorite-list] RE: Ad ebay meteorites

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Nov 4 10:28:09 2004

Dear Listees,

In the decades around 1900 it was fancy to circulate tables showing the values of meteorites. Henry Ward, for example, prepared such tables and it is interesting and funny to see what was highly priced and what was bargain in those old times. I remember that Angra dos Reis, Lodran and Chassigny were among the most expensive meteorites. Some of these tables are in the library and if somebody is interested I can email scanned images.

Regarding the ongoing discussion on Dhofar vs. NWA pairings: to me, the pairing situation with NWA is a bit like it is with some places in Antarctica - hundreds of meteorite pieces were picked up in glacial morains (e.g. Elephant Moraine). I would compare such collections with the "clothes baskets" of Moroccan dealers filled with all kinds of meteorite fragments. Meteorites which fell on Antactic ice travelled large distances within the ice and ended up in a moraine nearby the Transantactic Mountains. The difference to NWA is that Antarctic meteorites are curated by just a few research institutes that take care about classification and pairing.

Best wishes,

J?rn Koblitz / MetBase