[meteorite-list] How to Talk to Kids about Meteorites

From: Anita Westlake <libawc_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 2 12:29:33 2004

Dear List:
   A few nights ago I gave a talk to an elementary school about meteorites.
I think they were pretty fascinated, but I felt inadequate trying to answer
one of their questions: I didn't know off the top of my head how scientists
can tell how old Allende is(or any of them for that matter).
   Someone asked me if it was through Carbon-Dating, and I knew that wasn't
it. Is there a simple explanation for this age group? Should I get in to
radio isotopes and the half-life of elements? I'm desperately trying to
avoid that Krispy Kreme look. You know....glazed!

Anita