[meteorite-list] Nakhla Dogs Lives!

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Nov 2 12:54:27 2004

on 11/2/04 4:28 AM, bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de at bernd.pauli@paulinet.de
wrote:

> "Yes, it's likely there was no dead dog."
> It's really that simple.
---------
Ah, but Bernd,
        Have you so quickly forgotten the convoluted, yet arguably
PLAUSIBLE argument put forth in great detail by our own Ron Baalke
in the never to be forgotten NAKHLA DOG WARS between him and
the astute and esteemed Kevin Kachinka??? Kevin had already earned
a Harvey award for his most impressive work exhausting the information
and burying the Nakhla Dog story, apparently for good - in the
revered METEORITE Magazine you mention in your post - then, as I
recall, Ron Baalke was presented the Harvey Award for his part in
the Great Nakhla Dog Wars on the list. (Correct me if I am wrong - as
I am not as clear on Ron's Harvey Award as I am on Kevin's).
        In any event, Ron clearly left at least the thread of a possibility
that there was, indeed, truth to the Nakhla Dog story. (As I recall, it
required ample flexibility in translating terms used in the language
of the paper, an exceptionally large Nakhla strewn field, etc, but, none
the less - a thread of a possibility remaines).
        Has it really been 5 years?! If so, more recent members of this
list will find it most interesting to
1) Read Kevin Kachinka's brilliant article in the METEORITE Magazine
archives (they can be found on the internet via Google) and
2) read the archives of this list at Meteorite Central for the Nakhla Dog
debate between Ron and Kevin. Those posts were some of the most
interesting exchanges seen here, and though quite heated, both
participants conducted themselves as gentlemen.
        While any reasonable person would have to "give the decision"
to Kevin (who is convinced no such dog existed) it could not be ruled
a "knock out" as Ron "kept hope alive" for lovers of the Nakhla Dog,
who, to this day, claim, "The Nakhla Dog Lives!"
        Best wishes, Michael