[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Re: [meteoritecollectorsassociation] North West Arizona Meteorite Unclassified ?]

From: John K. Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 11 12:39:27 2004

Good morning everyone,

Consider what might have happened to the little meteorite that eventually
received the name Calcalong Creek. If a skilled and curious eye like Bob
Haag's hadn't taken a second or third look at this unclassified stone, it
would probably be sitting in someone's collection labeled as a
Millbillillie. The person who collected it in the field didn't have the
skilled eye or the level of curiosity it took to tell the stone was
different enough to warrant further investigation.

Many meteorite hunters are in the business purely for the money, and many
of those possess just enough knowledge about meteorites to decide whether
to put the rock they're holding in their hand into their pouch or toss it out.

The Franconia area is similar in some ways. While there are some pretty
savvy meteorite hunters working in the strewn field, there are many that
lack the knowledge to determine if a meteorite in their hand is the same as
the ones in their pouch or if it is something different. The correct
numbers will be coming out in the near future, but it's very safe to say
that there are three or more different meteorites being found in the
Franconia area. I could be wrong, but I think when the next Met. Bull.
comes out that's what we'll find out. A friend of mine found a meteorite
there that was so obviously different that one meteorite "expert" from
California told him it was not even a meteorite. It was almost totally
void of any fusion crust and had no rust on it. Most meteorite folks would
have walked right past it thinking it was one of the local basaltic rocks.

Just my 2 cents worth,

John Gwilliam