[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Re: [meteoritecollectorsassociation] North West Arizona Meteorite Unclassified ?]

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue May 11 11:28:22 2004

(forwarded from Yahoo groups meteoritecollectorsassociation list)

Dear Mark, Ken, Christian, and List;
We have seen this week already, some interesting occurrences in the
meteorite community.
First we see a known collector buy a suspected meteorite and find out
that it probably wasn't a meteorite and now, we have some of the
Franconia coming to market and not classified. Or, this is what it
appears at the moment.

Is there a solution to the situations involving unclassified
meteorites? Let the buyer beware is a good way to go but, is there more
that could be offered? Heck, one day we may all be offering up
unclassified meteorites if we get into a strewnfield of our own and need
a few bucks faster than science can produce classifications. How much
science COULD be lost by selling these unclassified's before their time?
Would it be in order for the IMCA to offer up an opinion for it's
members to strive to follow concerning buying and selling
unclassified's (excluding common NWA'S*?* ) or is that beyond the scope
of "meteorites and honesty" that we have pledged to uphold? I feed
there is a point when the collector/person in purchasing mode needs to
do homework, and be very timid at
throwing money and encouragement to unclassified's BUT where do we as a
society go from here? If one unclassified rarity escapes to the
collectors, and has the holy grail in it's innards......what to do then?
I think that the issues following unclassified's will live on for a long
time and may have no answers. Maybe the sellers and buyers in the
unclassified markets could come up with a universally accepted short
clause consisting of "...this is supposed to be a meteorite, return if
 not a meteorite. It is offered as unclassified and unnamed (because it
isn't named), and field data will be provided with accords to Long.
Lat, ground surface conditions, etc., for future classification, blah,
blah, blah". I feel a short four sentence universal disclaimer and
agreement to save some science may be a good tool to chew around.

 I hope I have offered a little food to chew on with out feeding any
ducks. I have heard that schooling ducks is wise, but then, I thought
ducks were herded and fishes were schooled.

Are we open for debating this issue?

Dave Freeman
Wyoming Meteorite Recovery Team Leader

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1.XolB/TM