[meteorite-list] The "Old Woman" Meteorite, updates III, IV, and V ;-)

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:53 2004

Dear Adam, Mike, List,
I found my tentative "rock springs" on BLM lands. When I came forward
after 4+ years of public land meteorite hunting with the local BLM and
state level BLM's knowledge of my hunting and scientific gathering
knowledge, at 0745 first minutes open after a holiday, I said to acting
District Manager, Mr. Ted Murphy, "here's your meteorite, what's your
pleasure" and he responded in front of a half dozen fascinated BLM
employee/rock enthusiasts, "Do the science, and keep it, it's yours."
Now a year later, it is classified as an L-6 S-2 W-2 by Dr. Alan Ruben
at UCLA where the type specimen is located, voting on the name "rock
springs" will be very soon, and the meteorite is now on voluntary
display at local BLM HQ along with my fascinating local petrified wood
display.
I think with my meeting my local level BLM on the front end four years
prior to finding this one, and being on the front end of science as my
main program, the local and state offices here are rather pleased at
what could have caused them concern and grief had I not acted in their
good faith from the early days (well relatively so) of public land
meteorite hunting. My first contacts were met with "file a claim" from
the state level BLM until I cited the "OLD WOMAN" case, offered Mr.
Norton's wonderful book as reading to the BLM geologists, and the
response has been great for me here. I am encouraged to hunt here.
For further reading on my story, see April and August Meteorite Times
articles, collector of the month and Bob's Findings.
Sincerely,
Dave Freeman
Wyoming Meteorite Recovery Team Leader
(hunting season is nearly ready as mud is drying up, and it hasn't
snowed in a week)