[meteorite-list] Why not oil /diamond blades for cutting meteorites?

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:52 2004

Hi Elton and all,
       I am surprised no one who does more cutting than I has responded.
       It goes like this:
Oil is fine for irons and even pallasites.
Oil sucks for stones (and mesosiderites) because it discolors them
horribly. (I do know one fine finisher that does use oil, but then
puts all pieces in cat litter [the kind free of chemicals - this is
important]
for a minimum of 3 months to leach out the oil). Most do not have
the time, space, patience and ability to delay financial return to
utilize such a technique. I assume it works, as his stuff is dandy.
       So, since oil horribly discolors stone, this is why most use alcohol.
Water (usually used with "cutting" solution added) is a no-no because
water is the enemy of meteorites.
       Some use water and then immediately immerse the piece(s) in
99% alcohol which has a phenomenal propensity to absorb water,
then put them in a stove with a pilot light where the humidity is
near zero. The alcohol, which absorbed the water, is then evaporated
rapidly.
       Be warned: alcohol is highly flammable, burns with a nearly
invisible flame AND IS MUCH HOTTER than say a candle flame. When
cutting with alcohol I always use as small amount as required, have
a towel handy and running water near by. Still makes me nervous,
but it is my preferred method - except in the exceptionally expensive
pieces, where I use a new blade and NO cooling and toss the blade,
such as with small Martian and Lunar specimens.
       In any event, I avoid oil at all costs.
       Best wishes, Michael

--
When Jesus said "Love your enemies" I think he probably
meant don't kill them.
          Anonymous
--
For perspective, try THIS:
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html
--
cool message fro Ben & Jerry:
www.TrueMajority.org/oreo
--
AMAZING photos of Aurora Borealis, etc.
http://faculty.rmwc.edu/tmichalik/atmosphere.htm
--
Hubble space telescope - AMAZING photos!:
http://wires.news.com.au/special/mm/030811-hubble.htm
--
http://www.costofwar.com/
--