[meteorite-list] Why not oil /diamond blades for cutting meteorites?

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:32:52 2004

I have tried oil and it works great. The cuts are
smooth, fast and the blades last forever. However, the
oil got imbedded in the meteorite cut surface and
stained them (And possibly weathered them more also)
and it made a huge (And I mean HUGE) mess that took me
three months to completely clean up.
Alcohol also worked very well and almost as good as
oil and made no mess whatsoever and cuts were smooth
and fast and do no damage to the meteorite. I have
seen tons of sparks that went directly into the
alcohol filled cooling pan and no evidence that I was
about to start a fire. I ocasionally use alcohol on
delicate things like Bensour for example but what I
didnt like was that it made a lot of fumes and since
most alcohol is piosenous I was worried about health
concerns from breathing in the fumes and so dont
typically use it. If you could devise a totally
outside air supply to breath then alcohol in my
opinion would probably be the best thing to use as a
coolant. Maybe I could rig up my scuba regulator or
something.
As far as blades go I find that those meteorite blades
dont last very long. The worst blade was ADVANTAGE
which literally fell apart on me after 30 seconds. I
couldent get over how bad those were. Theres bad
blades and then there is advantage blades.
I really give blades a hard going over so I would make
a good tester for companies wanting to develop new
blades. And I give a major thumbs down to Advantage
blades.
I use pro slicer blades and find them the best overall
but they wont cut Iron (I have never been able to
manage to cut Irons). There is a certain MK model
blade that I like better but it cost more than twice
as much and only lasts 50% longer so my opinion is
that pro slicer is your "workhorse" blade and best
value for the money. I buy them 50 at a time from the
manufacturer to get the maximun discount.
When I was a teanager we used to pick berries by the
multiple 5 gallon can and brewed them in 45 gallon
drums for 5 months (Mother nature loves me - the
berries ripened in august and christmas was in
december) and then ran off the wine that we brewed
from it (And I was good, my stuff ignited and burned
forever - just like the flame of vesta). After all
those years I am not sure if I still have my
distillery skills but for making high quality (And
highly potent) meteorite coolant, I bet that if I
tried really really hard, I could still manage to, ah,
nawwwwww - I have better things to do.
Most dealers use water as a coolant. After cutting I
then bake my meteorites in the oven to get all of the
water out as fast as possible.
Cheers
Dean

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10/index.html