[meteorite-list] re: OT: Transit of Venus

From: Stuart Forbes <stuartforbes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Jun 8 08:31:44 2004

>From here in Edinburgh we saw most of it. My eclipse glasses from last
year's annular eclipse let me see it with the naked eye, and I used my home
made telescope as well.

The cloud cover was a bit patchy, so the sun was sometimes obscured, but
otherwise we got a great view of it. We're thinking of Canada of the 2012
one!

>It was about 5-10 minutes after sunrise before we even saw the sun. The
clouds
>made a great filter though early on, with a huge orange sun just visible
through
>them and venus visible nake eye. Great sight.

That's how we saw the annular eclipse last year. Visible without filters on
the horizon. We could even look at it through the telescope. It was
absolutely beautiful!

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland