[meteorite-list] Boorish Comments on A Tektite Web Page

From: minador <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:15 2004

Dear Keith, list and Norm,

Keith wrote:

> In my opinion, the "footnote" is a classic
> examples of how the actions of arrogant, self-righteous
> ill-tempered people poison the relationships between
> collectors and scientists.

I think the "acrimony and disharmony between collectors and (SOME)
scientists" is more an issue of greed than true concern for the preservation
of material of scientific interest. Even scientist can be greedy and want
it all for themselves. Not just those with commercial interests. If it
wasn't for the "amateurs", our knowledge of meteorites wouldn't even be near
what it is today. At one point scientists scoffed at the idea that rocks
fell from the sky. And that by using some common sense field techniques,
they were readily collectible. Sure they've had their Antarctic
expeditions, but they've lagged behind the curve and always will.
Commercial activity is typically what leads to discoveries. Very few world
class mineral deposits have been discovered by academics or corporate
geologists. Most have been discovered by the lonely prospector. Their hope
to find material that could be sold for profit is what drove them. So it is
the same here. I believe Norm was only expressing his frustration
experienced by a lot of boot leather geologists.

I don't think Norm's comments or activity will poison the relationship
between scientists & collectors. I think most scientists appreciate "field
hunters". I would like to hear what Norm has to say (and any
meteoriticists).

Respectfully,

Mark Bowling
Vail, AZ