[meteorite-list] Amgala, Bensour, Zag Questions

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:15 2004

Adam and others,

After trading several emails with Bernd and looking very carefully(and often) at my nice pieces of Amgala and Zag, I've concluded that the Amgala individual I have is different than my nice Zag pieces. As Bernd would tell you, the pictures I have of the two in comparison are not conclusive in themselves...but looking at crust details and quality, and the comparison of the materials under magnification has me confident that the new piece in question is not Zag. They are both brecciated H's which makes them similar by nature. So one should expect some similarities.

I did not wish to cause an issue, but the brecciated fresh interior of my cut Amgala was unique when compared to what I have seen in other pictures of Amgala. Maybe that just states the variety that we might see in this material once people start cutting it up on a regular basis. The nice crust on most individuals may limit the slicing of it. I for one will be looking and following the variations in this new fall.

Regards.

John