[meteorite-list] Nininger to Perry Letter, Feb. 27, 1951

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:13 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C41E08.A81DBF70

(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)
AMERICAN METEORITE MUSUEM
OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66
POST OFFICE BOX 1171
WINSLOW ARIZONA

February 27, 1951
Dear Perry:
Replying to your of February 19.
I should be glad to comply with your second proviso, namely, that I furni=
sh you with a slice of the 209 lb. meteorite in case we get only samples =
or none of the larger mass. In fact, I should have volunteered as much. B=
ut only on the condition that you bear, not half, but all of the expense.=
 You see, as I figure it, our preliminary work of discovery together with=
 the time I shall be obliged to spend, and the very considerable risk to =
health and limb are fully the equivalent of whatever cash outlay may have=
 to be made on the project. The work in that bleakest of American deserts=
, in complete isolation from civilization, is going to be no picnic.
Please accept this reply in the friendly spirit in which it is intended a=
nd do not feel under any pressure whatever to participate. We shall be ab=
le to handle it somehow.
Cordially,
(signed)
H.H. Nininger
HHN: AN

------=_NextPart_001_0003_01C41E08.A81DBF70

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>(American Meteorite Museum Letterhead)</P> <P>AMERICAN METEORITE MUS=
UEM</P> <P>OPPOSITE METEOR CRATER ON HIGHWAY 66</P> <P>POST OFFICE BOX 11=
71</P> <P>WINSLOW ARIZONA</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>February 27, 1951</P> <P>D=
ear Perry:</P> <P>Replying to your of February 19.</P> <P>I should be gla=
d to comply with your second proviso, namely, that I furnish you with a s=
lice of the 209 lb. meteorite in case we get only samples or none of the =
larger mass. In fact, I should have volunteered as much. But only on the =
condition that you bear, not half, but all of the expense. You see, as I =
figure it, our preliminary work of discovery together with the time I sha=
ll be obliged to spend, and the very considerable risk to health and limb=
 are fully the equivalent of whatever cash outlay may have to be made on =
the project. The work in that bleakest of American deserts, in complete i=
solation from civilization, is going to be no picnic.</P> <P>Please accep=
t this reply in the friendly spirit in which it is intended and do not fe=
el under any pressure whatever to participate. We shall be able to handle=
 it somehow.</P> <P>Cordially,</P> <P>(signed)</P> <P>H.H. Nininger</P> <=