[meteorite-list] RE: NP Article, 12-1950 Meteorite Crater Found in Canada

From: Sterling K. Webb <kelly_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:30:01 2004

Hi,

    I assume you're talking about the half circle with Umiujaq about midway
along it. Note also the Belcher Islands which could be the southernmost
portion of a central uplift.
    In the upper portion of the Bay, on the west north of Churchill and on
the east north of Inukjuak, the shores form two fairly regular arcs which
lie on a much larger circle.
    Both certainly look too good to be accidental. But they could be.
    The various pieces of the present Canadian Shield formed from nuclei of
granite batholiths, but further risings of granitic magma formed rings
around the original batholiths and then rings around the rings... And
wherever you have rings, you can erode a circle.

Sterling K. Webb