[meteorite-list] AW: Meteorite from Jupiter

From: Norbert Classen <trifid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:59 2004

Sterling, John, and List,

Hmmm, maybe it isn't a scam at all ;-? I'm not saying that I
believe in Jovian meteorites, but I know that people can
easily misunderstand any information about meteorites. The
letter states:

"During a conversation with her, one of the meteorites was
identified as coming from the planet Jupiter."

Now, I heard similar statements before, e.g., I told a
friend who isn't into meteorites that most of these rocks
from space have their origin in the asteroid belt between
Mars and Jupiter, and I also told him about Martian and
lunar meteorites. He told this to another friend, but left
out a few bits of information. When the other friend called
me back, and wanted to have a look at my collection he
was very excited to see my rocks from Mars and Jupiter ;-)

So, maybe Mrs. Cheung's meteorites are real, in the end.
"Facts" are often getting mixed up, and I guess we can't
exclude this possibility.

Anyway, have fun, and imagine a gaseous meteorite, or -
even better - a block of frozen hydrogen in its solid metal
state ;-)

Best,
Norbert