Re-2: [meteorite-list] Oroville California, Iron.

From: fcressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:56 2004

Hello Bernd, Bill, Mike and all,

As Paul Harvey would say, I thought I'd add to "the rest of the story".
Mike had mentioned that the Oroville meteorite survived the 1906 earthquake
in San Francisco and was recovered from the museum ruins. In the article,
"The meteorites of California" by C.P. Butler, in the July 1966 issue of
Mineral Information Service, the author has a short note on the Oroville
meteorite. It reads:

 "Had it not been cut, the Oroville meteorite, sometimes caled the Butte
meteorite in reference to the county where it was found, might also be
listed as lost. After the fire and earthquake in 1906, this iron, which was
in the mineral collections of the California Academy of Sciences in their
great museum at 5th and Market Streets, was unaccounted for until identified
in 1964. Photographs of slices of the Oroville in the British Museum, the
Chicago Natural History Museum, and the U.S. National Museum when compared
with scaled drawings of a cut on an identified meteorite still in the
collections quickly established its origin. Without those original slices,
removed in 1893, this specimen could not have been identified."

So, in other words, although the Oroville meteorite was recovered from the
museum ruins after the earthquake, it was not know what iron it actually was
until 1964, when it was compared to known slices in other museums.

Hope some of you found "the rest of the story" interesting.

Regards,
Frank