[meteorite-list] NWA is Far Better Than Antarctica

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:30 2004

Adam:
This is a good point and a question that probably has a thousand answers.
But there is something to be said for meteorites that do not have a "dealer"
or monetary aspect tied to it. The Antarctic collection is purely research
oriented and it is cost-effective (free??) for scientists.
What more can one ask. But I have noticed that some NWAs do get world
attention like on CNN and MSNBC. But, this is mostly because a "new mars
rock found" or something of that nature and not because of the scientific
importance behind it. Furthermore, for what it is worth, there are GPS
coordinates and cold conditions for the Antarctic material. According to
one scientist I spoke to a while back, most researchers need to know the
conditions (climatic, chemical, etc) at the find site for their research to
have some validity. Most NWAs are from undisclosed locations and as we know,
it is hot there, ripe for bacteria (but then look at ALH 84001).
Anyway, good question, I look forward to reading others' posts.

Matt Morgan