[meteorite-list] Back to meteorites..

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:30 2004

------------------ Original Message ----------------
[meteorite-list] Back to meteorites..
tracy latimer daistiho_at_hotmail.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:17:50 +0000

Back when I was first getting into collecting,
I purchased a partslice of meteorite that had been
labeled as Kem Kem. However, when I got it, I found
that
a)Kem Kem was only a provisional name and
b) it had not been classified yet.
Has anyone heard anything further on whether this
meteorite ever became 'legit'?
I gather that several stones were sold under the
handle "Kem Kem", and they might or might not be
paired/ related. I am going through a box of old
partslices, fragments, etc. and would like to properly
identify everything I can.

"No meteorite left an orphan."
Tracy Latimer

-------------- End of Original Message --------------

Hi Tracy,

Kem Kem was never an approved "provisional" name.

You asked what the "proper identification" should be
on the label you are making for your specimen.
Unless you can contact the dealer you bought it from,
your label will have to read:

Name : None (sold as, ___-___)
Loc. : Unknown
Class: Unclassified

I remember you asking this question about 2 years ago.
If in another 2 years you are asking this same
question, my reply will probably be the same. The
best that you can hope for, if you and the dealer you
bought your specimen from can come up with enough
information, is that you might be able to get a
provisional NWA number.

In the meanwhile, be content with the purchase of your
NWAs back when you were starting your collection; be
satisfied that got a meteorite for a good price, and
that you did your part in adopting an "orphan".

With Best Regards,
Bob V.