[meteorite-list] apology

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:51 2004

--MS_Mac_OE_3131350703_17598143_MIME_Part

Prolog: I sent the following (below) email to Bill privately a couple
of days ago. I THOUGHT it was going to the list, as well as to Bill, but
left town right after sending it and just now realized it did not go to
the list. I feel I owe a PUBLIC apology to Bill, who has obviously put in
a good deal of time and effort in an attempt to contribute to everyone
in our hobby. He did not deserve my publicly badmouthing the fruit
of his efforts and I apologize for doing so.
       Sincerely, Michael

--
Hello Bill,
       I owe you an apology. That post should have been sent privately

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>apology</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Prolog: I sent the following (below) email to Bill privately a couple <BR>
of days ago. I THOUGHT it was going to the list, as well as to Bill, but<BR=

left town right after sending it and just now realized it did not go to<BR>
the list. I feel I owe a PUBLIC apology to Bill, who has obviously put in <=

a good deal of time and effort in an attempt to contribute to everyone <BR>
in our hobby. He did not deserve my publicly badmouthing the fruit <BR>
of his efforts and I apologize for doing so.<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Sincerely, Michael<BR>
<BR>
--<BR>
<BR>
Hello Bill,<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I owe you an apology. That post =
should have been sent privately<BR>
and not to the list. <BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I apologize. <BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Best wishes, Michael <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&gt; ----- Original Message -----<BR>
&gt; From: &quot;Michael L Blood&quot; &lt;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>mlblood=
_at_cox.net</U></FONT>&gt;<BR>
&gt; To: &quot;Bob Martino&quot; &lt;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>martino.6_at_osu=
.edu</U></FONT>&gt;; &lt;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>meteorite-list_at_meteoritece=
ntral.com</U></FONT>&gt;<BR>
&gt; Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 2:27 PM<BR>
&gt; Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Big-Ass Purple Campo<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; Man,<BR>
&gt;&gt; Thanks for the rundown. Boy, am I glad I didn't get any of that<BR=

&gt;&gt; s--t!<BR>
&gt;&gt; For my nifty Tazas, I guess I'll resort to the trusty DW40<BR>
&gt; overnight<BR>
&gt;&gt; followed by soft wire brush on a flexible shaft.<BR>
&gt;&gt; Best wishes, Michael<BR>
&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; on 3/22/03 10:29 AM, Bob Martino at <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>marti=
no.6_at_osu.edu</U></FONT> wrote:<BR>
&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; All,<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; And now for an update on the Big-Ass Campo formerly known as &=
quot;Rusty.&quot;<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; As you may recall (those who care, anyway), I bought a 19-poun=
d Campo at<BR>
&gt; the<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Tucson 2003 show this year. No &quot;New Campo&quot; this, it =
was definitely an<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Old-School specimen. Totally covered in rust.<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I contacted Bill Mason and bought one of his new Meteorite Tre=
atment<BR>
&gt; Kits.<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Unfortunately, I've had mixed results with it.<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Yes, the rust-eating acid worked very well indeed. Unfortunate=
ly, the<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; instructions included with the kit left a bit to be desired. I=
n one<BR>
&gt; place<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; they say to neutralize the acid next, then soak it in alcohol.=
 In<BR>
&gt; another<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; place, it wrongly states to soak in alcohol first and _then_ u=
se the<BR>
&gt; acid<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; neutralizer. (Guess which instructions I followed.) I also fol=
lowed the<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; instruction set which didn't happen to mention that the acid n=
eutralizer<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; needs to be diluted with water first (In one place the instruc=
tions say<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; dilute 10:1 with water, and in another it says 20:1). The resu=
lt was a<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; sticky meteorite with way too much neutralizer on it. Thus, wh=
en the<BR>
&gt; oven<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; baking was in progress, my house was filled with a nasty burni=
ng<BR>
&gt; chemical<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; stink. The heat also apparently destroyed the neutralizer chem=
icals,<BR>
&gt; leaving<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; me with an ugly white deposit on the specimen (The fact that t=
he cat<BR>
&gt; grew<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; another head is probably just a coincidence).<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; So I went back and re-did the whole thing. At least the acid t=
reatment<BR>
&gt; went<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; fast because most of the rust was already gone. I also took th=
e time to<BR>
&gt; work<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; over my 4-inch long Nantan with the rust remover (It's now a n=
ice 2-inch<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; long Nantan). I got the order of treatment and the concentrati=
on of<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; chemicals correct this time, I think.<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Everything went well until the final coating with the spray-on=
 sealant.<BR>
&gt; Now,<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; my Nantan and my Campo are purple.<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I can think of perhaps three reasons for this:<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; (1) I left the two specimens in the sun all day to dry &amp; c=
ure the spray<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; coating. Did a chemical/color change occur because of light, h=
eat, or<BR>
&gt; both?<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; (2) Perhaps the acid neutralizer was still too concentrated. T=
here may<BR>
&gt; have<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; been a reaction between the neutralizer and the spray-on coati=
ng.<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; (3) Perhaps the spray-on coating is simply too thick. I used f=
our coats.<BR>
&gt; The<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; instructions _did_ say &quot;spray on more layers to add mil t=
hickness,&quot; but<BR>
&gt; then<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; again, they failed me before.<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; There is nothing in the instructions warning about Purple Haze=
 or how to<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; avoid it.<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Has anyone else have this problem?<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; So now I'm faced with removing the coating with acetone and tr=
ying yet<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; again. I'm also wondering how the acetone will affect the spec=
ial<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; rust-inhibiting chemicals applied to the specimen by the vario=
us<BR>
&gt; treatment<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; steps. Will I have to start all over again, or can I just spra=
y on a new<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; coating and not worry? More important, how do I prevent the Pu=
rple Haze<BR>
&gt; from<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; returning?<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; -----<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Bob Martino, Tucson, AZ<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Can you really name a star? &nbsp;Read the Truth!<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://home.columbus.rr.com/starfaq/<=

</U></FONT>&gt;&gt;&gt; .<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; ______________________________________________<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Meteorite-list mailing list<BR>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com<B=

</U></FONT>&gt;&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.pairlist.net/ma=
ilman/listinfo/meteorite-list<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are al=
ways so<BR>
&gt;&gt; certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.<BR>
&gt;&gt; Bertrand Russell<BR>
&gt;&gt; --<BR>
&gt;&gt; Worth Seeing:<BR>
&gt;&gt; - &nbsp;Earth at night from satelite:<BR>
&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/00=
11/earthlights_dmsp_big.jpg<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt;&gt; - Interactive Lady Liberty:<BR>
&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://doody36.home.attbi.com/liberty.htm=
<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt;&gt; - Earth - variety of choices:<BR>
&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/vplanet=
.html<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt;&gt; --<BR>
&gt;&gt; Panoramic view of Meteor Crater:<BR>
&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Arizona/Gran=
dCanyonRoute66/MeteorCrater/Met<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt;&gt; eorCraterRimL.html<BR>
&gt;&gt; --<BR>
&gt;&gt; Cool Calendar &amp; Clock:<BR>
&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.ht=
ml<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt;&gt; --<BR>
&gt;&gt; Michael Blood Meteorites &amp; Didgeridoos for sale at:<BR>
&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/<BR=

</U></FONT>&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; ______________________________________________<BR>
&gt;&gt; Meteorite-list mailing list<BR>
&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt;&gt; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.pairlist.net/mailma=
n/listinfo/meteorite-list<BR>
</U></FONT>&gt; <BR>
<BR>
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so<B=

certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.<BR>
 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Bertrand Russell<BR>
--<BR>
Worth Seeing:<BR>
- &nbsp;Earth at night from satelite:<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0011/earthl=
ights_dmsp_big.jpg<BR>
</U></FONT>- Interactive Lady Liberty:<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://doody36.home.attbi.com/liberty.htm<BR>
</U></FONT>- Earth - variety of choices:<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/vplanet.html</U>=
</FONT> <BR>
--<BR>
Panoramic view of Meteor Crater:<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.virtualguidebooks.com/Arizona/GrandCany=
onRoute66/MeteorCrater/MeteorCraterRimL.html<BR>
-</U></FONT>-<BR>
Cool Calendar &amp; Clock:<BR>
 &nbsp;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.yugop.com/ver3/stuff/03/fla.html=
<BR>
</U></FONT>--<BR>
Michael Blood Meteorites &amp; Didgeridoos for sale at:<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://www.michaelbloodmeteorites.com/<BR>
</U></FONT><BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>
--MS_Mac_OE_3131350703_17598143_MIME_Part--