[meteorite-list] Expensive?

From: mafer <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:22:43 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C33C3F.971BE5E0

Hello Steve and List
While not being any where near even a good and knowledgeable collector =
yet. I do notice things, and the 10% increase in collectors over a few =
months has been born out on Ebay alone. I have been selling opal on Ebay =
since 97, and although not real active right now, saw sellers increase =
from 5, back then, where I was listing a full 1/4 of the opal rough seen =
on Ebay, to well over 75 dealers off and on. Many of whom are past =
customers. The markets tend to create themselves when theres a hobby =
involved (or a fad, for those who read business rags) and when you add =
the daily increase in internet users, meteoritics can see possibly 2-3 =
new collectors every two months or less( I would see a new opal buyer =
about once a month year round). You will also see there is a definite =
cycle to spending on Ebay. The summer being a slow period for opals =
anyway, and prices for more common meteorites could nose-dive and people =
expect the rarer types to follow suit.
Theres a lot of hub-bub about whats coming out of the White House =
regarding economics, and much will affect the little guy. Haven't seen a =
program in the last 30 yrs that didn't cause the little guy to hold on =
to his pennies just a little bit harder each time one was announced. =
Once the fod from on high is in effect and people figure ways to live =
with or around it, prices will change due to new hobbyists and surplus =
money. Of course, theres always surplus money where its hard to stop =
horticulturists of certain plants that have a high resale value and =
collections are a great way to launder and invest money without tax =
people seeing it.

Mark

  ----- Original Message -----=20