Fw: [meteorite-list] First report of a New Fall!

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:18:30 2004

At 10:14 AM 2/24/03 -0800, fcressy wrote:
Frank Cressey wrote:
>You're correct that on the photos Adam supplied the crust doesn't look
> "midnight" black as we expect it should. However, I think this could be a
> result of lighting during photography or maybe weathering.......

My guess is that the picture of Hupe's newly acquired specimens is over
exposed. Even in our new-age of digital photography, it's quite easy to
get the wrong exposure. One way to prevent this is to shoot the subject
with an 18% photo gray card (receiving the same reflected light) in the
picture. Since 18% gray cards are a universal standard in the photo
industry, it would be quite easy to color correct an image (Like Hupe's)
until it matched an 18% card held up to your monitor for
comparison. Another thing to remember is that all monitors don't display a
particular color exactly the same from computer to computer.

My personal opinion about the specimens in the picture is over exposed a
stop or so, and that the fusion crust is fresher and darker than it
appears. Yes, there is some rusty color evident on some of the specimens,
but like others have mentioned before, several months exposed to the
elements can cause this. Bensour is one that has been mentioned, another
is Ourique, the stone that Mike Farmer recovered in Portugal.

Once all of the brave-hearted soles are back home with the real thing, I'm
sure the questions will all be answered.

Best,

John Gwilliam