[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Stewnfields??

From: Mark Jackson <chaositymeteoritics_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:49 2004

--0-141689841-1071643748=:21977

Rob, Bob and Listers,

I embrace Bob's descriptive term for scattered, but paired, drylake finds as accumulation zones. I believe that is the term used to describe the areas on the Antarctic ice sheet where meteorites by the armloads seem to be "gathered". The fact of the matter is, the meteorites, whether landing here or in Antarctica, join a world where the forces of fluid dynamics act incessantly to move them from thier original location. Does it mean find data is useless for mapping weight distributions of these zones . . . yes and no (maybe). If the fall is young enough then clearly there has been little time to interfere with the distribution, and it's probably trusty info; there are other cases like Gold Basin where there not only wasn't any observable weight distribution in the ~3000 finds recorded but also 3-4 other unrelated, independent finds within the strewnfield! How does THAT happen? For my money, for whatever reason, Gold Basin is a super-accumulation zone for the desert in that region.

Anyway, regardless of whether sf data can be trusted, the Garmin GPS gets queried and recorded everytime I collect a candidate in the field; followed by an expanding circle search out to at least a couple of hundred yards for pairings.

Happy holidays folks . . .

Mark Jackson
Chaosity Meteoritics
chaositymeteoritics_at_yahoo.com

--0-141689841-1071643748=:21977

<DIV>Rob, Bob and Listers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I&nbsp;embrace Bob's&nbsp;descriptive term&nbsp;for scattered, but paired, drylake finds&nbsp;as accumulation zones. I believe that is the term used to describe the areas on the Antarctic ice sheet where meteorites by the armloads seem to be "gathered". The fact of the matter is, the meteorites, whether landing here or in Antarctica, join a world&nbsp;where the forces of fluid dynamics&nbsp;act&nbsp;incessantly to&nbsp;move them from thier original location.&nbsp;Does it mean find data is useless for mapping weight distributions of these zones . . . yes and no (maybe).&nbsp;If the fall is young enough then clearly there has been little time to interfere with the distribution, and it's probably trusty info; there are other cases like Gold Basin where there not only wasn't any&nbsp;observable weight distribution in the ~3000 finds recorded&nbsp;but also 3-4 other unrelated, independent finds within the strewnfield! How does THAT happen? For my money, for whatever reason, Gold
 Basin is&nbsp;a super-accumulation zone for the desert in that region.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyway, regardless of whether sf data&nbsp;can be trusted, the Garmin GPS gets queried and recorded everytime I collect a candidate in the field; followed by an expanding circle search out to at least a couple of hundred yards for pairings.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Happy holidays folks . . . </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><BR><BR><DIV><FONT face="comic sans ms" color=#c00000 size=5><EM>Mark Jackson</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=verdana>Chaosity Meteoritics</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Arial Narrow" color=#438059 size=3><A href="mailto:chaositymeteoritics_at_yahoo.com">chaositymeteoritics@yahoo.com</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-141689841-1071643748=:21977--