[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Stewnfields??

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:50 2004

Mark's post reminded me that I never properly answered
Tom's original Gold Basin question.

In D. Kring et al (2001) "Gold Basin Meteorite Strewn
Field..." this is the only mention of post-fall
transportation in the entire paper:

"The locations of the samples, particularly those on
bedrock, indicate they have not been significantly
transported after impact."

Again, not my words. And I'm not going to comment.

But there is an image in this article that shows a
Gold Basin stony locked into a "desert pavement" and a
description that speaks of this stony having a coating
of "desert varnish". Given the long duration of time
required to develop this kind of patina on an
immobilized sediment, this speaks to me more of
minimal transportation after impact.

And then there's this desert-varnished GB find in my
collection that was found buried 6inches down and
under a cobble! No there's a suspect waypoint, and it
has a very low weighting on my GB strewn field map
(along with any find from a steeply sloping surface).
;-)
Bob V.

--- Mark Jackson <chaositymeteoritics_at_yahoo.com>