[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Stewnfields??

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:48 2004

Tom wrote:
>I wonder how many GB finds are actually where they
>landed? I bet, not many?
>I know Bob V. will have these answers!

By now everyone knows that Tom isn't really flattering
me. Tom has discovered a way to get me to post to the
List, and he uses it most effectively. He knows that
I can't resist the opportunity to prove him wrong!
;-)

Not that I have to work hard to prove that I DON'T
"have all the answers", but I will jump at any
opportunity to give proper credit to all of my
colleagues and team members who have worked hard at
recording the surface conditions at all of their find
localities, and for sharing their observations with
me.

But for all of those who would simply accept the
"answers" of a self-described "expert", I have some
bad news for you. There ain't no experts, and there
are no simple answers. Hell! We're still trying to
figure out how to word sensible questions!

But I do like to give myself credit for being one of
the first to question whether any "good" strewn field
data could be obtained from documenting meteorite
finds on dry lakes. Of course, since much of the talk
about strewn fields on dry lakes came from my very own
web pages, it is only fair that I am now a vocal
advocate for the "NO GOOD Strewn Fields on Dry Lakes"
school of thought.

I tend to agree with Doug that Dry Lake Strewn Fields
are in the eye of the beholder. But after conferring
with my dry-lake-meteorite-searching colleagues, all
of our observations tend to say the same thing, and
semantics aside, there is a whole lot of movement of
objects occurring on these "dry" lakes.

So the short answer is:
on dry lakebeds, we prefer to call these -
accumulation zones, or recovery fields - versus,
"strewn fields".

But keep in mind which "camp" I belong.
I'm squarely in the middle of the "don't have all the
answers" school of thought!
;-)
Bob V.

[meteorite-list] Dry Lake Stewnfields??
Tom aka James Knudson knudson911_at_frontiernet.net
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:52:06 -0700

Hi John and list, now this is the type of questions
that should be on our list!!! I to want to hear the
answers to John's questions too. I never quite
thought about it! Having hunted GB many times, I have
to wonder if any of the strewn fields data is strewn
field data or nothing more than rock movement data?

I wonder how many GB finds are actually where they
landed, I bet, not many? I know Bob V. will have these
answers!
Thanks, Tom
Peregrineflier <><
Yea, that's right,