[meteorite-list] Fireballs and Electrophonic sounds

From: Michael Gallant <miga_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:46 2004

Hello List,

If you don't have a copy of "The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites"
by O. Richard Norton, I strongly suggest putting it on your Christmas
wish list, you won't regret it. The second chapter describes the
fireball phenomena and mentions Electrophonic sounds.

Living in central New Hampshire, I can recall back in the late 60's (and
no, I wasn't high... at the time) hearing quite a loud sizzling /
crackling noise as I was standing near a utility pole one late summer
afternoon. My first reaction was to look for an arc over on an insulator
but instead I witnessed a very large, bright yellow green fireball about
20 degrees from the horizon moving from West to East. No sonic booms
and no smoke / debris trail that I can remember. I guesstimate 12 to 18
seconds of horizontal flight, then the noise and fireball disappeared at
the same time. I now understand why I was able to watch and hear the
fireball simultaneously ... Electrophonic sounds... radio waves
converted into sound via the wires / utility pole, thank you Mr. Norton.

I'm guessing but think this was a sizable mass at quite some distance
that just skipped in then out. Over Boston maybe??? Have done some
research but with little luck. Any "old people" ( high or not, I'm not
particular) out there remember such an event? Point me towards a data
base?

Best wishes to all,
Mike Gallant