[meteorite-list] A Sign From Above (Sylacauga Meteorite)

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:17:38 2004

Hi Ron & All,
        As discussed here, on the list, in METEORITE Magazine and in
METEORITE TIMES, there are many "categories" in which people
collect meteorites - falls (vs finds), "type," geographic distribution,
etc. However, meteorites that hit things (Hammers, I like to call
them, because they nailed something) are right up at the top of
my list.
        I consider Sylacauga THE all time (to date) hammer! We have
all "heard of" the one that went through a car window and struck
a Japanese man on the hand or arm - and the kid in Mbale who
was struck in the leg by a ricocheting specimen, but both these
lack corroborating documentation. Therefore, Sylacauga is IT. The
one that unquestionably struck a human!
        Long live Sylacauga!
        Best wishes, Michael
(PS: Any list member having any of this material they are willing to
trade or sell, please contact me off list - thanks)

on 12/1/03 1:10 PM, Ron Baalke at baalke_at_zagami.jpl.nasa.gov wrote:

> http://www.megastar.co.uk/news/news/2003/12/01/sMEG01MTA3MDI3MTAxODA.html
>
> A sign from above
> Mega Star (United Kingdom)
> December 1, 2003
>
> A sign from above
> November 30, 1954
>
> On November 30, 1954 the first modern day meteorite to strike a person fell to
> earth in Alabama USA. This is how Megastar's Deep South correspondent
> reported the startling news...
>
> The world will duly end for y'all within the year after a rock-based sign from
> the lord almighty struck down the life of a clean livin' lady of Sylacauga,
> Alabama.
>
> Well nearabout. She got a whole heap of bruises and she ain't happy.
>
> Mrs Elizabeth Hodges was just fixin' to listen to that evening's radio
> broadcast of Billy-Bob Evangel's prayers for the terrible dead, when the
> flamin' rock from hell came a-crashin' through her ceiling.
>
> Before Miss Hodges had the horse sense to run from her dog-gone
> living room, lickety-split the fiery brick of sin - or meteorite as
> them blasphemous scientists are calling it - bounced off of her radio
> set and knocked her clean on her purdy hip.
>
> "I thought it was some kinda varmint," wailed Miss Hodges after
> the biblical sign. "I ain't no yaller dog, but I was just tore up by it
> all. As sure as grits is grits, I'm doomed."
>
> Elizabeth's husband, the county Frog Gigger was laying out that
> night at the city limits bar room, but when he returned to see his
> house darn tootin' cattywampus, he was quoted as saying: "What
> in tarnation!" Before collapsing from the intoxicatin' effects of the
> event.
>
> Fiery signs from God are as scarce as hen's teeth round these
> parts and this lil' June bug was a whole 8.5 pounds and seven
> inches in length.
>
> The state of Alabama is the first place to have someone injured by a
> brick of sin, though I hear tell a dog was struck down by the
> almighty in one of them there Egyptian places in 1911. All this
> marries right with the story of the Chihuahua and the stone of doom
> (Dwayne, Chapter 6, Verse 2).
>
> In other words, run for the hills kinfolk, the day of reckoning has
> come. Sho' nuff.

Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the
public and have no self.
    Cyril Connolly
--
Hubble space telescope - AMAZING photos!:
http://wires.news.com.au/special/mm/030811-hubble.htm
--
http://www.costofwar.com/
--