[meteorite-list] Park Forest Dried up?

From: Maccers531_at_aol.com <Maccers531_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:38 2004

Sorry Steve ,
Better luck next time. Couldn't make it to join the hunt today... had to work
( even being self employed didn't permit the time to do so). But Im going
tomorrow. As far as the possibility of new finds, I found one individual on
6/3/03 ( 8 grams ) and one frag on 6/26/03 ( 7 grams ). Both were found in Crete.
My last 5 or 6 times hunting yielded nothing .
The last time , I hunted areas near Western Avenue in Park Forest just south
of Rt. 30. I thought I would try areas that were hit by larger pieces than
Steger and Crete. I also searched nearby the Garza and Phil Jones residences. I
really didn't realize how close the two houses were to one another. Most of
that area is residential, so that limits places to look.
I met a guy named Bob Mathias back when it first fell . He was fortunate to
find a 1.2 Kilo individual , that he found in the ground. To this day I still
dont know where he found it. Nice guy, just a little too reserved. He sold that
big one to the Field Museum.
Not sure what he got for it , probably more than $ 10K. Ive tried the forest
preserves. And for anyone planning on searching them , good luck , I could
barely walk through them . They are very dense. Using a metal detector would
probably be senseless too.
I still know a few locals who have some fresh specimens, but they arent
interested in selling them right now . However they were willing to tell me where
they found them.
I have searched those areas and come up with nothing.
Well , who knows, I live about 45 minutes from Park Forest ....... maybe one
day I'll stumble upon the main mass( if there is one out there).
I know that persistence was the key to my last finds. And if they can be
found 3 months after the fall, why not 6 or 9 months after.

Bob Evans