[meteorite-list] Are chondrites sedimentary rocks?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:37 2004

Martin wrote:

> In the interview, Ebel makes two comments that made me wonder...
> First, he mentions that "Most meteorites are pieces of asteroids.
> A very few are comets."

> My question is which "very few"? I figure the usual suspects are Orgueil
> and Murchison, but some comet experts I have talked with discount them
> and all other meteorites as being of cometary origin.

.. do not forget Tagish Lake and to some extent Krymka (see David Weir's
comments on Krymka on his website: " ... This material is enriched in volatile
siderophiles such as Ag, Tl, and Bi, and represents a late condensate from
a metal-depleted region of the solar nebula, possibly related to cometary
material."

> The second thing that caught my eye was when Ebel said, "Chondrites are
> really sedimentary rocks made up of dust and then chondrules, these round
> droplets that were once molten and now are little beads, many containing
> glass, which were present in the solar system."

He may have read O.R. Norton's comments in Joel Schiff's magazine:

NORTON O.R. (1998) Are chondrites sedimentary
rocks? (M! Feb. 1998, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 22-23).

> My question here is if chondrites can
> really be considered sedimentary rocks.

The only references I have about sedimentary meteorites:

TOMEOKA K. et al. (1997) Evidence for early sedimentary
processes in a dark inclusion in the Vigarano CV3 chondrite
(Meteoritics 32-4, 1997, A129).

TOMEOKA K. et al. (1998) Arcuate band texture in a dark inclusion from
the Vigarano CV3 chondrite: Possible evidence for early sedimentary
processes (Meteoritics 33-3, 1998, 519-525).

BRIDGES J.C. et al. (1998) Traces of Martian sediment in Nakhla
and other SNC meteorites (Meteoritics 33-4, 1998, A023).

Best wishes,

Bernd

To: martinh_at_isu.edu
Cc: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com