[meteorite-list] Are chondrites sedimentary rocks?

From: Mark Ferguson <mafer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:16:37 2004

Hi List

I just have to comment on this. Sedimentary rock, in any definition found in
geology and petrology books is matter which is laid down by either wind or
water, then compacted over time into a durable rock. This is not how
chondrules formed. Chondrules most likely are a coalescing of minute liquid
droplets into larger droplets which is very different from the sedimentary
process. It would be more accurate to liken it to the formation of a
chondrule to that of a rain drop, but that might well be to simple a process
to adequately describe chondrule formation since there are some high
temperatures and very different pressures indicated . But to use
sedimentation is not even close. Totally different mechanisms are involved,
that much is sure. For anyone to use totally different processes and
mechanisms is wrong for that only corrupts a new persons attempt understand
meteoritics.

Mark