[meteorite-list] Fw: Interesting item on eBay web siteitem#2171794657: Park Forest Meteorite Fragment w/Crust 2.8g

From: magellon <magellon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

http://home.earthlink.net/~magellon/updates.html (see first item)

Charlie, Steve and List,
Great, I'm glad he stopped the auction!
I agree with Steve, that misidentification is the problem more so than
dishonesty.
This (below) is what I wrote Joe Vergoin after getting an answer similar
to Matteo's:

Joe,
Meteorite identification is not always easy.
Your specimens do not look even similar to PF being sold on ebay.
Park Forest is gray and black and a little rust color - not blue!
Most meteorwrongs are iron ore and are attracted to a magnet.
There are several planetariums (Alder, Field Museum, Planetary Studies
Foundation in the Chicago Area.) that will check your sample for free.
(If you have been reading the local paper you know better than I.)
Also there are collectors nearby who may wish to assist you.
I will try to contact some in your behalf.
You need to ask. "Can a person with honest intentions can commit fraud?"

If you agree , you need to stop your auctions or change wording to
"possible meteorite that has not been verified by expert."
The honest thing is to stop your auction and get verification FIRST!
Joe, I am not complaining, just explaining....
If you still want pictures I can send some but you still need
verification.
Best wishes,
Ken Newton