Fwd: Re: [meteorite-list] New Member - Some Answers

From: Mark Jackson <b0rtz2003_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:13:09 2004

--0-137122260-1051215268=:42284

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:08:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mark Jackson
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] New Member - Some Answers
To: David Freeman

Thank you Dave. You know it never occurred to me that I would find iridium nuggets, but it seems that's exactly what these pieces are. I just located a photo from the Harvard Museum of Natural History of a natural iridium nugget and I am completely convinced that's what I have here. Now I'm confused on these impact pieces. Iridium's melt/flow temperature is around 3500 degrees F conditions that could only have been present in the vicinity of the impact. That makes these iridium splattered hunks of brecciated calcerous limestone part of the original bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. The location I am finding these pieces is more than 1500 nautical miles from Chicxulub. The current science of impact structures has embraced a general formula for impact ejecta distribution maintains that 95% of ejecta should make landfall within 5 crater radii of the center of the impact. I would place my location at least 10 radii from Chicxulub. I think the angle of attack of the Chicxulub impactor has a lot to do with this anomal
y. The object arrived at a 20-30 degree AoA travelling from SE to NW. Careful study of the radar images of the Chicxulub crater structure shows perhaps a 20 degree segment of the NW crater isn't there. Maybe that's because it was violently propelled toward this place? <dfreeman_at_fascination.com> wrote:You need to get some of your K/T boundary clay suspects off to a lab for
iridium testing. I am not surprised at all that you may have K/T
there. We have a half inch thick layer up by Castle Gardens in central
Wyoming. Colorado has a thicker layer than that in a few spots in
Southern Colorado. Heck, it was first discovered in Italy.
Best of luck.
DAve Freeman
Rock Springs, Wyoming IMCA #3864

Mark Jackson wrote:

> I'd like to say that I am really happy to be a member and that I hope
> the feeling is mutual with the membership later after I've torn the
> place up with "brilliant" questions. I will try to scan the archives
> to eliminate questions I have that are sure to be commonplace.
>

> I am a junior level prospector with greater than average knowledge of
> physics, astronomy, geology and geography. My weakest area in that
> bunch is geology especially rock identification and description. The
> only way to change that is to get out there and try, which I have been
> doing for about 6 months. Before you laugh too hard, let me get to the
> punchline . . . I am prospecting full time. Every day. I will make a
> living at it because I must. Let me clarify that meteoritics will only
> be a small part of my prospecting business, but it will be an
> important one.
>

> For the last couple of months I have been exploring in the Colorado
> Desert of Southern California. I believe I have discovered a strewn
> field of impact ejecta that includes nickel-rich graphite nodules,
> nickel fused to target sediment (impact melt), and spherules. The
> target sediment seems to be calcerous limestone brecciated with some
> other stuff. Believe it or not, I believe I have observed nanodiamonds
> in some of the impact pieces.
>

> It seems this material is exposed to the surface in this locale
> because of natural erosional processes. I also believe that the
> exposed layer is the K/T layer, which would lead me to classify the
> material as Chicxulub distal ejecta. Yes Chicxulub, the dinosaur
> killer. This impact material showed up in the middle of my study of
> the countless lava bombs that litter this area. I believe Chicxulub
> caused a mantle wave to pass thru which exploded thru the vocanoes
> with enormous force. But that's another story
>

> My questions to you are:How can I identify/certify this material?
>

> I am working to secure a digital camera so I can show pics of this
> stuff . . . some of this stuff is really great.
>

> Regards,
>
> Mark

> The New Yahoo! Search
> -
> Faster. Easier. Bingo.

--0-137122260-1051215268=:42284

<DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:08:40 -0700 (PDT)<BR>From: Mark Jackson <B0RTZ2003_at_YAHOO.COM><BR>Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] New Member - Some Answers<BR>To: David Freeman <DFREEMAN@FASCINATION.COM><BR><BR>
<DIV>Thank you Dave.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>You know it never occurred to me that I would find iridium nuggets, but it seems that's exactly what these pieces are. I just located a photo from the Harvard Museum of Natural History of a natural iridium nugget and I am completely convinced that's what I have here.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now I'm confused on these impact pieces. Iridium's melt/flow temperature is around 3500 degrees F conditions that could only have been present in the vicinity of the impact. That makes these iridium splattered hunks of brecciated calcerous limestone part of the original bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. The location I am finding these pieces is more than 1500 nautical miles from Chicxulub.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The current science of impact structures has embraced a general formula for impact ejecta distribution maintains that 95% of ejecta should make landfall within 5 crater radii of the center of the impact. I would place my location at least 10 radii from Chicxulub.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I think the angle of attack of the Chicxulub impactor has a lot to do with this anomaly. The object arrived at a 20-30 degree AoA travelling from SE&nbsp;to NW. Careful study of the radar images of the Chicxulub crater structure shows&nbsp;perhaps a 20 degree segment of the NW crater isn't there. Maybe that's&nbsp;because it was violently propelled&nbsp;toward this place?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><B><I>&nbsp;&lt;dfreeman_at_fascination.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">You need to get some of your K/T boundary clay suspects off to a lab for <BR>iridium testing. I am not surprised at all that you may have K/T <BR>there. We have a half inch thick layer up by Castle Gardens in central <BR>Wyoming. Colorado has a thicker layer than that in a few spots in <BR>Southern Colorado. Heck, it was first discovered in Italy.<BR>Best of luck.<BR>DAve Freeman<BR>Rock Springs, Wyoming IMCA #3864<BR><BR>Mark Jackson wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; I'd like to say that I am really happy to be a member and that I hope <BR>&gt; the feeling is mutual with the membership later after I've torn the <BR>&gt; place up with "brilliant" questions. I will try to scan the archives <BR>&gt; to eliminate questions I have that are sure to be commonplace.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I am a junior level prospector with greater than average knowledge of <BR>&gt; physics, astronomy, geology and geography. My weakest area in that <
BR>&gt; bunch is geology especially rock identification and description. The <BR>&gt; only way to change that is to get out there and try, which I have been <BR>&gt; doing for about 6 months. Before you laugh too hard, let me get to the <BR>&gt; punchline . . . I am prospecting full time. Every day. I will make a <BR>&gt; living at it because I must. Let me clarify that meteoritics will only <BR>&gt; be a small part of my prospecting business, but it will be an <BR>&gt; important one.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; For the last couple of months I have been exploring in the Colorado <BR>&gt; Desert of Southern California. I believe I have discovered a strewn <BR>&gt; field of impact ejecta that includes nickel-rich graphite nodules, <BR>&gt; nickel fused to target sediment (impact melt), and spherules. The <BR>&gt; target sediment seems to be calcerous limestone brecciated with some <BR>&gt; other stuff. Believe it or not, I believe I have observed nanodiamonds <BR>&gt; in some of the impact pieces.<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; It seems this material is exposed to the surface in this locale <BR>&gt; because of natural erosional processes. I also believe that the <BR>&gt; exposed layer is the K/T layer, which would lead me to classify the <BR>&gt; material as Chicxulub distal ejecta. Yes Chicxulub, the dinosaur <BR>&gt; killer. This impact material showed up in the middle of my study of <BR>&gt; the countless lava bombs that litter this area. I believe Chicxulub <BR>&gt; caused a mantle wave to pass thru which exploded thru the vocanoes <BR>&gt; with enormous force. But that's another story<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; My questions to you are:How can I identify/certify this material?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; I am working to secure a digital camera so I can show pics of this <BR>&gt; stuff . . . some of this stuff is really great.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Regards,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Mark<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>&gt;